_bbR3iY5lLSjzaZNziPYc6VX6tk Inspiration CAN be found EVERYWHERE!: I can't believe it ........

Monday, December 22, 2008

I can't believe it ........

I really can't believe it - today is my son's birthday. Now its not that I can't believe its his birthday - its that he is 23 today!

I can not believe that he is that old! I just can't be that old - I mean it was just two weeks ago that I was in labor. And last week that he was learning to ride a bike, and telling me what he was going to do with his life.

Heck it was just yesterday that I was signing the papers for him to become a junior volunteer fireman. I remember that night so very clearly. He had begged me to sign those papers. He was not quite 16 and it was September 12th - yes the day after THAT September 11th. As I'm signing with the captain and engineer as witnesses, the engineer said to me - "Mom we will take care of him - we take care of all our guys but most especially our juniors". I just looked at him and said "Andy, I know you will - I KNOW where you live". It was a joke, but I was somewhat serious since in my heart, I KNEW this was what he was destined to do, and I wanted to make sure he was trained right.

In just a few short weeks (3 to be exact) he will graduate from UNH and hopefully get a job in his chosen field and start his new life. I just hope he remembers that no matter where he goes and what he does - we are family and no matter what we are behind him 100%. God knows we've tried to be there for him and show him that for the last 23 years.

My baby isn't a baby anymore. He's turned into a pretty special man.

1 comment:

debi lynn mattingly said...

Hi sweetie!
Having raised 1 girl (now 29 and with 2 babies) and a 22yr. old son and our 15yr.old son...it never seems to amaze me how they seem to be getting older...while I am obviously getting younger! :)

Thanks for your sweet post! My daughter has also been called the "princess" all her life and when she had a little girl I told her that now Baby Brooke was the new princess and she would have to move on to be the "queen"...since I am now the "goddess"! :)

xo...deb