_bbR3iY5lLSjzaZNziPYc6VX6tk Inspiration CAN be found EVERYWHERE!: DIY Spices and Mixes from Frugal Families

Saturday, November 26, 2011

DIY Spices and Mixes from Frugal Families

You may have been seeing recipes that have Apple Pie Spice in the ingredients, I know I have.  But I have to say I have yet to see this spice in my grocery stores, so it was time to find a way to make my own.  I found it at a wonderful new friends website Frugal Families.

There are some FABULOUS mixes to be found on her site, so I think I will be spending a lot of time wandering around her posts for sure!

Here are just a few of what I have found on a quick wander - that I want to make sure I keep for me and share with you.  But she has so many great ones I know I will be going back often.

Apple Pie Spice Mix


-1/4 cup cinnamon
-2 tsp nutmeg
-1 tsp allspice
-1 tsp ground ginger

Mix together and store in airtight container.

Homemade Taco Seasonings


-3/4 cup dried minced onion (I also have used 1/4 cup of onion powder)
-3 TBS of salt (original recipe called for significantly more and I lowered it to this)
-1/4 cup of chili powder
-1 TBS oregano
-2 TBS of ground cumin
-1 TBS garlic powder
-2 TBS of cornstarch

Mix all the ingredients together and store in an airtight container.
To use:  Brown hamburger meat or use diced leftover chicken (my boys LOVE chicken-based tacos!) or turkey burger and add 2 TBS of the mix with 1/2 cup of water and cook a moment longer until taco sauce thickens up.  Add additional mix for larger batches.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My accomplice and I really loved reading this weblog post, I was just itching to know do you commerce featured posts? I'm always trying to find somebody to make trades with and merely thought I might ask.

Inspiration CAN be found EVERYWHERE said...

well Anonymous I can't answer you if I don't know who you are or how to get in touch with you. Sorry

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate what you post. You have a new subscriber now.

Anonymous said...

It's so lucky for me to find your blog! So great! Just one suggestion: It will be better and easier to follow if your blog can offer rrs subscription service.

Anonymous said...

I greatly appreciate all the info I've read here. I will spread the word about your blog to other people. Cheers.
[url=http://androidphone7.livejournal.com/]Android Phones[/url]

Anonymous said...

Wow, superb blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is fantastic, as well as the content!
[url=http://acnetreatments250.blinkweb.com/]Acne home remedies[/url]